Friday, August 20, 2010

One more ride...

Before I discuss the final stretch of our journey, it must be noted that our breakfast we ate in San Francisco was one of the best breakfasts I've had in my life (but...nothing compared to my grandmothers). I was told that Mama's was THE place for breakfast in the city by the bay. Even on a Wednesday morning there was a line!
[ Mama's ]
[ A Rockin' Breakfast ]
It was a perfect meal to keep us satiated as we drove up Northern California to our final destination: Eugene, Oregon.This drive was yet another scenic route, as we drove through Mount Shasta and the Siskiyou County of California:
[ Mount Shasta from a distance ]
[ Brothers ]
[ Shastafarian ]
At a previous rest stop, while sipping water from a fountain, I learned about the Living Memorial Sculpture Gardens located near Mount Shasta. Dedicated and created by a Vietnam War veteran, these wire sculptures were made to evoke a powerful sense of striving for peace. 
[ Tellulah cruises on ]
It was kind of unreal once we crossed into Oregon; I looked down at our map, and it was at that moment that this whole moving across country really hit me.
[ Entering Oregon! ]
[ So close, yet so far away...]
My living situation here is lovely; I have two roomates, one of which who has a charming dog who greeted us all kindly as we walked in the door; I have a very nice cozy room, kitchen, living room, fireplace and even a small backyard (yes, a garden is already in the works in my mind).  Yesterday, I spent the day acquainting myself to this Emerald City. There is so much to explore here; I will share with you just a few things I have already began my explorations in:
[ (self explanatory) ]
This caught my eye, and it caught it good: 
[ Amazon Community Garden ]
[ Community gardens ]
[ Community gardens ]
[ Pumpkin enchilada's from Agate Alley ]
[ Ice cream from Prince Pucklers ]
[ We're all in this together ]
About 10 days ago, around this same time, I awoke before the sun (as I am now) to embark on a journey across America. With two brothers, a red car, my Mom's cookies, and my life packed in duffle bags/crates/too many miscellaneous objects to mention, I rolled down my window and waved 'see ya later' to the East coast. Through miles of sunshine, rain storms, sky scrapers, flat lands, mountains, arches, rivers, lakes---we followed my invisible yellow brick road to this Emerald City I now start a new chapter in. In these past ten days, I've learned some rather interesting facts from our journey across country; I've realized America truly is THE beautiful, and that Mike can eat a burger in less than four minutes, and that Dave will not eat a turkey sandwich on the road because turkey will make him tired, and that I don't need any road games, any books, any magazines...not even my beads to keep my occupied during some ten hour stretches on the road. I am just fine keeping my gaze out the window the entire ride as we rock the road (okay, there was an occasional snooze, and twice I tried to retouch my nails with yellow nail polish--got away with it once, the second and third attempt, Dave's nasal passages were out to get me). 
In just an hour(ish), the three of us will ride one last time on this adventure across America in sweet Tellulah, en route to Portland, en route to the airport, en route to my solo adventures on the left coast. Of course we will have one more breakfast adventure, as recommended by ROAD FOOD. For my brothers...an attitude of gratitude I will always have for trecking out here with me. For the open road...I give praise for these ten days. 

NOW, let's rock it on the road once more, and this time, there 'aint no duffle bags/crates/too many miscellaneous objects to mention holding me burried to the back seat. I'm behind the wheel today... this one's on me, brothers; PEACING TO PORTLAND 

3 comments:

  1. Miss Em,

    Beautiful piece.

    You are in your new town and ready to take on a new adventure.
    As always you will hit some bumps and take a few wrong turns, but you always end up where you need to be, better than when you started and leaving a trail of smiles.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a ride. What a wonderful story, and another beginning. Glad you made in style, enjoy the great NW and keep those pics and blogs comming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosebud, your writing evokes fascination, envy, tears of pride in those beautiful babies I cradled in my arms more years ago than I care to remember. Another product of your creative mind, inspired by America's majesty, accompanied by your rockin' brothers and nourished by Road Food. (BTW, did you know that U. Scott and I have been members of the Road Food website for years? Glad you found this indispensable traveling resource!) Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed every word, photo, YouTube of your Rockin' Blog Across America, and look forward to keeping in touch. (Don't forget to tell me your new address so I can dispatch a batch of AJ's Brownies!)
    Keep on truckin'! xoxo

    ReplyDelete